Symptoms and Natural Remedies for Constipation
Constipation is a problem that faces many people, and it is actually one of the most common of the gastrointestinal disorders that people in the U.S. and the world are faced with. It is defined as an irregularity of bowel movements, or when the bowels are not thoroughly emptied through a regular elimination of waste. Not only can it be very painful, but it can actually harm your body if not remedied quickly. That's where many will choose to take natural remedies for constipation rather than over the counter pills which have many side effects.
Symptoms and Side Effects of Constipation
Usually those that suffer from constipation have an irregular schedule of elimination, and the feces are often difficult to expel from the body. Having constipation can actually be painful for many people, and there are even more serious symptoms of constipation. These include a white coating on the tongue, foul smelling breath, the feeling of being overly full or bloated, stomach aches, an acidity in the stomach, the growth of varicose veins, acne, insomnia or sleep disorders, large dark circles under the eyes, depression, nausea, frequent and painful headaches, a loss of appetite, and dizziness. These symptoms are all an indication that you may be suffering from constipation.
Constipation can harm the body if not remedied quickly. The body eliminates wastes and harmful toxins through the urine and feces, but those toxins are not eliminated if the feces are not expelled from the body. Constipation can cause a buildup of these harmful toxins in the body, and this buildup of toxins can lead to high blood pressure, acne, arthritis, appendicitis, and a host of other serious disorders. Color cancer has also been proven to be a possible result of chronic constipation.
What is the Cause of Constipation?
Digested food is sent from the stomach to the colon. All of the nutrients and water are absorbed by the colon, and the food is passed down the colon to be eliminated. The muscles of the colon contract to push the excrement towards the rectum, where it is ejected by the body. This constitutes a healthy gastrointestinal system.
When the colon absorbs too much of the water from the food, the food dries and hardens. This makes it very difficult for the body to expel the waste products, as the muscles are unable to push the hard waste matter properly. When the muscles of the colon cannot push the food out of the colon, it builds up in the intestines. That is the reason those that suffer from chronic constipation feel full all the time.
Dr. Jay W. Marks listed likely factors that causes constipation:
- The lack of water in a diet is often the main cause of constipation. The more water you have in your diet, the less water needs to be absorbed from the food that you eat.
- An unhealthy diet is also a cause of constipation. Fiber is required to keep the digestive system working properly, but a lack of fiber causes the body to absorb too much water.
- Hormones can also affect the gastrointestinal system. Having a hormonal imbalance will usually result in constipation.
- Certain emotional factors can contribute to constipation. Stress, depression, and anxiety often throw off the body's natural balance.
Natural Remedies for Constipation
- The best way to cure your constipation is to have a high fiber diet. If you feel constipated, it is usually caused by a lack of fiber. Eating only fruits, vegetables, and bran for a few days is a great way to loosen up your stool. Apples, spinach, broccoli, figs, carrots, and certain beans are very high in fiber and can help to cure constipation.
- Make sure to drink a lot of water if you are constipated. Having a lot of water flowing through your digestive system is the best way to keep your stool soft, as the water is absorbed into the colon instead of the liquid in the food you eat. Drinking no less than 3 quarts of water every day can help to keep constipation away, and drinking 4 or 5 can help to loosen up your bowels.
- Exercise is a vital part of keeping a healthy balance in your body. Exercise helps the food to be processed and moved more quickly through the colon, which gives it less time to absorb water.
- Psyllium husk is a powder that you can take three times a day in a glass of water to help reduce the dryness in your bowels. It can get rid of your constipation in a matter of days.
- Prunes are one of nature's best laxatives, and you will find that eating prunes and drinking prune juice can cure your constipation in a matter of hours. Starting and ending your day with prunes and prune juice will keep your waste flowing freely, and combining it with apple juice will double the effect.
- Papayas are another effective natural laxative, especially when combined with figs. If you eat half of a papaya for breakfast accompanied by a few figs, you can be certain that your constipation will be cleared up in a matter of hours.
- Spinach is full of the most important vitamins and minerals for your body, and a few glasses of spinach juice can clean your body right out. It may sound awful, but drinking a few glasses of spinach juice will get rid of your constipated bowels, regardless of the seriousness of the condition.
- Orange juice helps the muscles in your colon to contract and expand properly, and you will find that drinking a few glasses of fresh orange juice every day can cure your constipation. Not only will help the muscles work better, but it gives you a lot of the fiber that you are lacking in your diet.